Wednesday 19 October 2011

This Is It!!!

Our last day home before we head out to BC.  We're flying from Winnipeg to Edmonton, then to Vancouver, then finally to Nanaimo.  Flight with layover time will take 7 hours and 35 minutes.  But it ain't over yet.  We have to drive another two hours from Nanaimo to get to Campbell River.  This gives us 9 and 1/2 hours of travel for the day.

The more I think about it, the more freaked out I'm getting.  How will a kid on the autism spectrum make out on this long trip?  But then I think of his aunties and their husbands traveling from Australia to be there with their father, one of the couples with an infant.  27 hours of travel with a baby can't be an easy thing either, so I really gotta pull up my big girl panties here and chill out.  If they can do it, I can do it with Dayton.  I just hope he gets tired and passes out, at least during our two hour car ride.  I can't have Dayton be too cranky when he sees his grandpa, otherwise I'm going to have to wait an extra day to see him.

So...  my plan to keep Dayton preoccupied?  Let's see...  thank God for the guidance counselor's interactive social story!!!  I'm so going to be all over that!!!  We're definitely using the books she gave us on air travel.  Dayton's teacher also gave us some work to do, so I'm packing Dayton's school backpack with all of the work given to us by the school, this way he can not be bored.  I'm going to bring some Uno cards to pass the time during layovers.  Naturally, the iPod touch is coming with us too, as is the Nintendo DSi.  I've gotta find his little MP3 player, it's around here somewhere...  And I cannot forget to buy some gum, and a little wee bit of sedatives for your's truly...

Today will be spent finishing up on laundry, cleaning my home, and packing...  Yey!  You know I'm going to forget to pack something.  There is every reason to believe I'll forget something personal, like my underwear...  What did mamma say about accidents and clean underwear again?

I've got to get Dayton and I for a haircut, pick up our medication and some time tonight make time for Dayton to say goodbye to his buddies. 

We're told Jerry needs help with the simplest of things, to sit up, to stretch his arms and legs, and he's lying in a hospital bed in the living room.  He's surrounded by his favorite music, friends and family.  Communicating has become difficult for him and exhausting.  He's described by one of his daughters as kind, gentle and loving, much more so in the last few days.  While he may not be able to have a long winded conversation, and may only say two to three word sentences, his sense of humor is still in tact, and his witty personality still shines through.  

I do not know how much time I will have to write while in BC, but I will do my best to try. 


In the mean time, consider yourselves hugged,

Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment