Friday, 21 October 2011

A Dollar Short And A Day Late

We did not make it on time.  Once we got to Vancouver, we found out that grandpa Jerry had passed away shortly after lunch.  Stuck at the Vancouver airport for two hours, crying uncontrollably, all we had was each other.  An elderly lady saw Dayton sobbing and feeling horrible for him, came to ask me what was wrong with my son...  I explained we had lost his grandpa, and she shared with me how she had just lost her husband a month ago...

Shock does not begin to describe what we went through at the airport.  I felt a sense of exhaustion that I cannot begin to put into words or describe.  I just sat, held my son, rocked back and forth more for my sake than his.  I just wanted to go home.  I saw no point in going forth in my travels.  I just wanted to go home.  My facebook friends told me to be strong, to continue my travel to Campbell River as family and friends needed me.  I wondered who would be there for me...

I do not wish to sound selfish when I say this, but I always end up being a care taker of others.  When push comes to shove, there is no one there for me.  My friends always call me when they need something, wanting something or are in trouble.  When I tell them my sorrows, their eyes seem to glaze over.  There are only a few friends that have never done that to me:  mom Kathleen and dad Paul and another friend of mine, but the two of us have a hard time getting together in person.  Speaking of Dad Paul, he is going to come to Campbell River just to be of support to the family.  I know I can always count on him. 

When we got to Campbell River, we drove straight to the family home as the body was waiting for us in the living room to pay our respects.  I wasn't sure if I wanted Dayton to see his dead grandpa, but at the same time, I didn't have the right to make this decision for him. 

Dayton was and still is a trooper.  Yes, he cried, but he was not afraid to be in a room with grandpa Jerry.  He doesn't mind talking about grandpa, but he is sad...

As for the long trip yesterday (eleven hours of travel), Dayton did fantastic.  Hes been a good boy and very comforting.

Considering myself hugged,


No comments:

Post a Comment