Saturday 24 December 2011

A Quiet Christmas

To be honest, I'm looking forward to a nice, quiet Christmas.  My dad thought of coming to visit from BC, but decided to stay home with his beloved new laptop that's given him new lady friends to harass on Facebook and Skype.

It's always the same with us...  A few days before Christmas we go a little in anticipation, especially my beloved babe.  Two years in a row now he ended up at his great aunt's house and opened all the Christmas presents as his dad and aunt were playing cards upstairs in the kitchen.  Dayton's not the kind of kid you just leave to his own vices. But the family just doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes and it repeats every year.

"Oh, he just needs a little discipline."
My response:  "No, he needs a little attention when he comes over for a visit!"

Christmas time is the time of year where everyone gets together and seems to forget that Christmas is about he KIDS, not the ADULTS.  Don't get me wrong, I'm an adult, and I love Christmas.  The point of Christmas is to celebrate Christ's birth first, then enjoy the company of the people we love.  The presents are a major distraction from the true meaning of Christmas, but every kid out there is getting Christmas presents, so I have to make sure Dayton has something good to open too.  But the major focus of Christmas is Christmas gatherings, and it seems when adults get together, we forget all about the kids.  They're in the house with us, they're safe, let's play!  At least, that's what Christmas has been like for us.


This year will be a little bit different, and I'm really looking forward to it.  Christmas will be at one of our favourite uncle's homes, right here in Winnipeg.  Uncle Eddie's a great guy with a fantastic sense of humour.  His wife Linda is super nice, and their daughter Kim...  to be honest, the ladies of the house are nice, but that's really all I know.  We haven't spent much time together.

Their Christmas presents will already have been opened, woooooohoooooo!!!  No need to worry about Dayton opening everything.  If Dayton goes a wee bit on the 'hyper' side, we get to excuse ourselves and leave.  But I have a feeling this year it will be different.

Dayton's learned a lot this past year.  He's much more vocal about his needs and wants, and more tolerant of things that would send him over the edge just a short year ago.  My Christmas tree has staid standing erect this year, the tinsel left on the tree, and the light bulbs have not been messed with or unscrewed.  This year, Dayton's WRAPPED Christmas presents and put them under the tree...  I'm missing one of my lip glosses and praying it's under the tree...  I've left a present for him under the tree (just one is all I'm brave enough to leave) and he's left it wrapped!  My babe's grown in the last couple of years, and this Christmas I celebrate this growth in the warmth of Christmas spirit.



It's OK to be thankful at Christmas time, trust me.


Consider yourselves hugged,

Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment